Alex Newcombe Walkinshaw
5 October 1974
|Television||The Bill (1999–2001) and (2003–2010)|
Waterloo Road (2011–2012)
Casualty (2012–2014, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2022)
Holby City (2014–22)
|Relatives||Jodie Marsh (first cousin)|
Alex Newcombe Walkinshaw (born 5 October 1974) is a British actor. He has played the long-running roles of Dale "Smithy" Smith in the ITV police procedural series The Bill and Adrian "Fletch" Fletcher in BBC medical dramas Casualty and Holby City. He also played PE teacher Jez Diamond in BBC school-based drama series Waterloo Road.
He first appeared in The Bill in three episodes as a guest star in 1992, 1993 and 1995, before joining as a regular cast member in 1999. It was whilst he was acting at the Royal Court Theatre that he was spotted by one of the producers of The Bill and was encouraged to audition for the programme. He joined The Bill as PC Dale Smith, better known as "Smithy" and then left in 2001. In 2003, he returned when his character was promoted to Sergeant. When The Bill was axed in Scotland in 2009 by STV, Walkinshaw was the last person to appear on Scottish screens alongside Sam Callis as Sgt Callum Stone.
In 2011, Walkinshaw was cast in Waterloo Road as PE teacher, Jeremy 'Jez' Diamond, replacing Paul Nicholls. Following his departure from the show, he joined the cast of Casualty as nurse, Adrian 'Fletch' Fletcher. In 2014, the character made a permanent switch from Casualty to its sister show Holby City.
Early and personal life
During his time on The Bill, Walkinshaw met his wife Sarah, who worked as a make-up artist on the show. They married on 20 June 2009 at the Queen's House in Greenwich, London and live in Kent with their two children.
He is very close friends with his former co-stars Roberta Taylor and René Zagger. Taylor is like a second mother to him and is even grandmother by proxy to his children. Zagger is his best friend and they have known each other since they were 15 and 16; they also shared a flat when they were both on The Bill. Zagger and Scott Maslen were his best men at his wedding. His cousin is the glamour model and TV personality Jodie Marsh.
He undertakes local charity work and is the patron for the St Thomas' Lupus Trust. On 24 March 2007, he took part in The Weakest Link and won £9,450, which he donated to Essex-based charity "Kids in Need", which grants wishes for underprivileged, sick and terminally ill children. On 2 May 2007, he opened a new community police office in Chislehurst, for the Safer Neighbourhood teams from Chislehurst and Mottingham.
- Saving Santa (2013)
|2014−2022||Holby City||Adrian "Fletch" Fletcher||Regular role|
|2012–2014, 2016, 2019–2020, 2022||Casualty||Regular role (2012–14); Guest (2016, 2019, 2020, 2022)|
|2011–2012||Waterloo Road||Jez Diamond||Regular role - 18 episodes (series 7)|
|2002||Stan the Man||Tommy|
|1999–2001, 2003-2010||The Bill||PC/Sgt/Insp. Dale Smith||Regular role|
National Television Awards 2008 – Outstanding Drama Performance – Nominated
|1995–98||McCallum||DS Small||Regular role|
|1995||Crown Prosecutor||Troy Daly|
|1995||The Bill||Andy Franklin||Episode: 'Flora and Fauna'|
|1995||A Touch of Frost||Pearce|
|1995||London's Burning||Truck Driver|
|1994||Harry Enfield & Chums||Unwanted party guest|
|1993||To Play the King||Boy Mugger|
|1993||The Bill||Lee Tarrant||Episode: 'Deadly Weapon'|
|1993||A Question of Guilt||Ed Darvas|
|1992||Casualty||Alan||Series 7: Episode 10 ’Money Talks’|
|1992||The Bill||Steven Murray||Episode: 'Fair Play'|
|1992–93||Side by Side||Terry Shane|
|1990||Death in Venice||Older Boy|
- "About Us". United Kingdom: St Thomas' Lupus Trust. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Pratt, Steve (1 July 2009). "Beat goes on". United Kingdom: The Northern Echo. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "Bill cast clear-out". United Kingdom: BBC. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Millar, Paul (22 June 2010). "Soaps – News – Walkinshaw: 'The Bill end was emotional' – Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Archived from the original on 24 June 2010. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (21 July 2008). "'The Bill' actor hopes for Walford role". United Kingdom: Digital Spy. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "BBC – Press Office – Jaye Jacobs and Alex Walkinshaw join Waterloo Road". BBC Online. BBC. 30 May 2011. Archived from the original on 2 June 2011. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (13 March 2012). "'Casualty' casts 'Waterloo Road' star Alex Walkinshaw as new nurse". United Kingdom: Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Gardham, Duncan (21 October 2008). "Seven Dr Whos set for reunion". United Kingdom: Telegraph.co.uk. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Hemley, Matthew (30 October 2008). "Double drama win for Doctor Who at National Television Awards". United Kingdom: The Stage. Archived from the original on 11 June 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "Alex fits The Bill". United Kingdom: Ilford Recorder. 30 July 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- Married Holby City star Alex Walkinshaw 'exchanged raunchy texts with model behind wife's back' - Mirror Online
- "Jodie Marsh shocks fans as she reveals surprising family connection to Holby City's Alex Walkinshaw". 2016.
- "New police office opened by TV actor". www.newsshopper.co.uk. Retrieved 13 February 2013.